"Royal Cheese"
Remember in the movie Pulp Fiction when John Travolta is telling Samuel L. Jackson about McDonald's in France? It's true. They do eat mayonnaise with their fries and the Quarter Pounder is the Royal Cheese. And it was damn good.
Call me a redneck. Call me clueless. Call me tasteless. I don't care, but I was not crazy about the food in France. I had REAL French cheese, wine, quiche, and crepes and it was all OK. I love cheese: cheddar, feta, provelone, Swiss...but that stuff I ate over there just didn't taste right. Needed more salt or something. The wine: too sweet. The quiche: (see the note about the cheese).
The crepe: it was good, but not a whole lot of taste besides the Nutella it was drowned in.
We ate dinner twice at local cafes. It was fine, but it took forever (culture thing) and dinner for 2 one night ran us about $90 U.S. We were just as happy to eat at McDonald's, KFC, Quick (fast food) and the corner bakery. We knew what we were getting, it was fast and it was cheap.
I will say the desserts and breads were very good. We had breakfast 3 mornings from the local bakery:
A sweet roll and and bottle of water we could eat on the train hit the spot.
Any sandwich was served on traditional French bread and it was always good. Probably our 2 favorite things we ate were dessert from the cafe one night. Steve had dark chocolate molten cake and I had pistachio creme brule. Mmmmmm!
Remember in the movie Pulp Fiction when John Travolta is telling Samuel L. Jackson about McDonald's in France? It's true. They do eat mayonnaise with their fries and the Quarter Pounder is the Royal Cheese. And it was damn good.
We ate dinner twice at local cafes. It was fine, but it took forever (culture thing) and dinner for 2 one night ran us about $90 U.S. We were just as happy to eat at McDonald's, KFC, Quick (fast food) and the corner bakery. We knew what we were getting, it was fast and it was cheap.
I will say the desserts and breads were very good. We had breakfast 3 mornings from the local bakery:
Any sandwich was served on traditional French bread and it was always good. Probably our 2 favorite things we ate were dessert from the cafe one night. Steve had dark chocolate molten cake and I had pistachio creme brule. Mmmmmm!
3 comments:
I would have taken a pic of the menu too! When I read that I thought "Huh, who'da thought".
I don't think I would like the food either. We eat cheese on just about everything and I really want it tasting like cheese.
My co worker just got back from Paris and she said the same thing. She wasn't all that impressed with the food either. And she also said they waited forever at restaurants too, because apparently the french think it's rude to rush a meal. We Americans are so impatient aren't we! lol Oh did I mention, she got engaged on the Eiffel Tower??? Sigh. So romantic.
Glad u had a good trip! I'm impressed with your braveness with going out on your own that day! I don't know if I would have done it. I'm a scaredy cat.
That's probably why American food is unhealthier - there's probably some sort of horrible thing in it that makes it tastes so good to us :)
It looks yummy though!
Post a Comment