OK, that was fun so here I am again playing along with Mama Kat's writers workshop. The prompts I chose are "make a list of things you no longer have in common with your single/childless friends" AND "make a list of things you no longer have in common with your married/child bearing friends" and why you love them all anyway.
These both appeal to me because I fit in both categories at times. I was never one of those people whose life revolved around having children, although I have been married since I was fairly young (22) so I can't really identify with the single life.
things I no longer have in common with my single/childless friends...
1. I can't run off to the beach this weekend to see the Cowboy Mouth show because I gotta take care of the kid. I can't do anything spur of the moment or without pre-arranged childcare.
2. Staying home on a Friday and Saturday night is perfectly acceptable.
3. Sure I like to have stylish, attractive clothes, but if I can't find it on sale at Kohl's or in a thrift store, I probably ain't buying it.
So when we DO get a chance together, we always have fun and I enjoy the lack of diaper/nap time/pre-school talk.
things I no longer have in common with my married/child bearing friends...
1. I still enjoy busting a move at the bars/dance clubs. Have you ever seen the movie "The Sweetest Thing" with Cameron Diaz? Those bars scenes are the stuff of my dreams (and a teensy bit my life 15 years ago).
2. Your kid is cute, but once he/she starts to wail and/or has a category 5 in their diaper, I'm out. You can have them back. Right now.
3. Seeing little newborns does not turn me into mush and automatically make me want 3 more.
But I know that you understand where I'm coming from when I say motherhood is hard and you don't judge me (right?).
4 comments:
Yep making plans takes forever with kids to consider. That one is on my list too!
multiplemama.com
I love all of this! We don't have kids yet, but I feel like being married makes it hard to make advanced plans - now with two families (in-laws) we're always busy!!!
Oh I laughed at all of these. But as a single, childless person, I still think it's acceptable to stay home on a Friday or Saturday night. But maybe that's just because I was never a bar hopper at all, so I'd rather be curled up at home with a book and a movie!
Ditto what Shannon said. As much as I love a good girl's night out, I am so not a bar person these days. I cringe when someone says "let's go to Blue!" haha I do love to hang out and have drinks with friends though. That's always fun.
I think the older we get, the more we have in common, kids or no.
Post a Comment