Back home again! I'm tired, but all in all, I had a good time on my trip and thought the conference was worthwile. My aunt, my mom's sister, lives in Jacksonville and I had made plans to see her while I was in town. They picked me up from the hotel and then we swung by their place before going to dinner. Afterwards, we were going to the American Legion to "dance and have a few drinks." What an experience that was!
Where do I begin? For those of you who may be unfamiliar, the American Legion is a social organization for veterans. This one has a bar, pool table(25cent/game), entertainment and occasionally food. They even have a swimming pool and Tiki hut out back for the summer. The room was covered in dark paneling, linolium flooring and cigarette smoke. I was definately the youngest one there, with the average age being probably 65. Even the bartender asked me if I was old enough to drink. I thought, "yeah lady, if I served drinks to 70 year-olds all day, I'd think I looked like a youngin' too." But there wasn't any bingo or knitting going on. Our entertainment for the evening was Vickie Lee. She sounded like Tanya Tucker and Tammy Wynette and looked like a plus size Dolly Parton.
In between songs she played, "electric slide," "Cupid shuffle," "the twist" and other songs to dance to...which of course we did. I even two-stepped (I think that's what it was) with 2 older gentlemen. We finally got out of there just before midnight. Crazy! But it was a lot of fun!
These pictures just don't do it justice, but you get an idea...

Where do I begin? For those of you who may be unfamiliar, the American Legion is a social organization for veterans. This one has a bar, pool table(25cent/game), entertainment and occasionally food. They even have a swimming pool and Tiki hut out back for the summer. The room was covered in dark paneling, linolium flooring and cigarette smoke. I was definately the youngest one there, with the average age being probably 65. Even the bartender asked me if I was old enough to drink. I thought, "yeah lady, if I served drinks to 70 year-olds all day, I'd think I looked like a youngin' too." But there wasn't any bingo or knitting going on. Our entertainment for the evening was Vickie Lee. She sounded like Tanya Tucker and Tammy Wynette and looked like a plus size Dolly Parton.
No comments:
Post a Comment