Monday, April 14, 2008

Now I've heard it all

I work at a rural, public school with at-risk kids. What does that mean? Some are at-risk academically: they are failing, they have low test scores, etc... Some are at-risk environmentally: they and their 5 brothers and cousins are being raised by grandma b/c mama is in jail and daddy is a drug dealer, etc... So I've seen and heard alot. I've also learned alot.
Tonight, we had a parent event where they are invited to have dinner and hear a guest speaker. Childcare is provided. I happend to be in the back with the kids. One little, tiny girl, about 18 months, was trying to leave the room and I told her to stay in here and watch the movie.
"Shut up," she said, "Shut up, bitch." Wait. No. She didn't say that. I misunderstood her tiny voice. "Comeback in here," I said and I took her arm. She pushed me away and said, "Shut up, bitch. Shut up bitch."
Oh my Lord. That tiny little girl knew that phrase and she knew how to use it. I found out later her mama had her when she was in about the 8th grade. This is the sadness I deal with everyday. This is the parenting that is going on these days. And people want to blame education and teachers?

post signature

1 comment:

Girl in Carolina said...

That is awful. I feel so sorry for these kids. My friend Kerry and Kimberly who are teachers say the same things all the time! The stories they tell me - ugh. Heartbreaking!