While a Brittish man wearing fishnets, a corset and heavy make-up may be scary to some, Dr. Frank N. Furter is not usually considered a frightening character.
This week on Glee, they were featuring songs from the Rocky Horror Picture Show, the 1975 cult classic starring Tim Curry as the transvestite Frank. I hate I missed it, but I'm sure the kids did Tim Curry proud. Coincidentally, I was flipping channels around 9:15 and the original RHPS was on TV.
It's cheesy, silly, and in no way scary. Musicals usually don't make for good horror movies. Frank prances around in his outfit and Rocky, his creation, wears little more than a gold speedo. Heck, Janet and Brad spend most of the movie in their underwear. Sure, there are dead bodies and a little gore, but not enough to keep you up at night. It's really a mock-horror/sci-fi flick.
But when I was about 12, it scared the crap out of me. And I never laid eyes on the film.
RHPS become a popular midnight movie shown at one of the theatres in my area. How do I know? My favorite radio station would play the advertisement for it all the time when I was in my room, late at night, listening to music. I'd hear the creepy voice of Rif Raff or Magenta and tidbits of a few of the songs. I was sure RHPS was a super-scary movie. "Horror" was in the title for crying out loud! Just hearing the ad freaked me out enough to change the station. and it was an old school radio, so I had to scroll the dial to one station, and then scoll it back to try and find my station again.
Years later, when my friend's older sister told us about it and how fun it was to sit in the theatre and sing along and throw toast, I couldn't believe it. Props and singing and dancing? That is what I changed the station for? That is what gave me the creeps?
Now that "Paranormal Activity 2"? That would keep meup at night.
This post has been brought to you by Mama Kat's Writers Workshop.
No comments:
Post a Comment