Monday, February 9, 2009

YAGBTS

Not too much going on so I thought I would share a few YAGBTS moments. What's the story on YAGBTS? Go here.
I work at a public school. Most of my darlings come from low-income, families many of whom are being raised by their single mothers, aunts or grandparents, who probably did well to graduate high school. Nevertheless, I am still surprised when I get paperwork turned in with crazy nicknames. There is a space to list the child's first, middle and last names along with a place to list the "name child prefers to be called." You know, like if their name is William they go by Billy or maybe their middle name is Susie and that's what they are called. Nope. What do I get? "Sunshine", "Precious," and "Da-Da."
My family went to a community function not to long ago. There were a good many people there and my dad strikes up a conversation with the man sitting next to us. By the time we left, they had figured out that they were third cousins.
This past summer, I started going to a new hairdresser. She's at a salon on the edge of town, in a really cute old house. I was getting in the car this past time and I looked down and there was a shotgun shell on the ground. Now let's think about this...was it from someone who a. was taking aim from the salon b. aiming near the salon or c. was at the salon and it just rolled out her car door??
P.S. Several gals asked about the thrift store. If you know my neck of the woods it's on the corner of Barr Road and Pisgah Church Road
P.P.S. Firefly Vodka, Mary, is a sweet-tea flavored Vodka made in Charleston, SC and it is awesome!

post signature

3 comments:

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...

OMG, that vodka sounds heavenly, considering my serious sweet tea addiction.
Love those nicknames.

Anonymous said...

You had me at vodka, then you added in sweet, then you threw in awesome on top of all that! Mmmm, yummy vodka!
Anyway, I always wondered if I was going to get flack for naming my son Nicholas but calling him Nico. I mean is it that big of a deal because now I am all conscious about it. On a side note about the nicknames you have come across...nice. At my old job, there was this dude whose name was Adam, but he told me to call him Prince. Uh, sure. I told my supervisor and she walked right over and said "It is very unprofessional to use pet names or nicknames, so we will be calling you by your given name." I was so thankful! I was not about to call someone who was working for me Prince just because he wanted to be treated that way!
Was there vodka around when those shotgun shells were near?

Anonymous said...

Do you by any chance go to Truvy's salon?

And that shell was one of the ones that Drum was shooting at the birds to get them out of his/Weezer's magnolia tree?