Saturday, April 18, 2009

HGTV should have an emergency hotline

I was going to share a few more pics from spring break to round out that week, but it's been too long and it's already a blur... I had another cute post about Durmott Mulroney and puke, but that one didn't happen either. So instead I have house updates. Our "baby" has been growing for 9 months now and it still not ready. The next projected "due date" is Mid-May. We'll see.
I know we are very blessed to be able to build our dream house and it's wonderful and I know in the scheme of things it doesn't really matter, but I am pissed about the landscaping.
This is one of the things Steve and I have butted heads on the most, believe it or not. He seems to think I was supposed to be developing some master plan from the get go so that when I was prompted, I would say,"ta da! Here ya go!" Well, I didn't get that memo.
So now it is approaching the end (we hope) and we'll still don't really have a plan. While we want a nice yard, we don't want to pay someone 1000s of dollars to do it. I really have been doing my homework lately, looking at plants and on-line designs and I thought I had one we could work with. Only to find out that half our yard is off limits b/c electrical runs there, septic is there, our MASSIVE french drains run here, here and here and the a/c unit goes there and concrete goes all the way around there. And I'm talking about a BIG area. See?I want it done right so that in 5 years we have a nice yard and not something that is half-dried up and still not filled in yet. And it's going to need more than standard tree and 6 bushes. UGH!!! Anyway... here's an update on the rest of the house:
Not much has changed here. Notice the wide expansion of dirt that is our front yard? Our amazing kitchen. The trim guys were the bomb!

Which would explain why our budget blew up, but it was worth it. (color: Sherwin Williams Quite Red)

I LOVE this light fixture.
No, I am NOT putting our TV above the fireplace. It goes to the right, in the shelving, thank you very much. (color: Sherwin Williams Rain)
My side of the master bath. I'm ready for some "Calgon" to take me away... Remember that commercial? (color: Sherwin Williams Cay)
Our trim guys built this nifty little thing right into the wall! (color: Sherwin Williams Blonde)
Sorry the pics aren't bigger. I don't have the patience for blogger to upload "medium" sized pics this morning. And if anyone finds the emergency number for HGTV, drop me a line, pronto!

post signature

6 comments:

Housewife Savant said...

Okay, so we're just getting familiar with one another, right?
I click your link when you post, and "Oh yea, she's
A) got the great Rocker Profile Pic
B) got a Rebecca of Sunnybrook farm header so everyone will notice the contrast to the Rocker Profile Pic
C) she's building a house near The Rock (Painted Hillbilly Rock, not Dwayne Johnson.)

Several simultaneous thoughts:
1) I like her (thus the update link on my sidebar)
2) her Painted Hillbilly Rock is way cooler than our Vandalized Idiot Truck in Wisconsin
3) I'd kill my husband in the course of building a new home (We don't believe in divorce, FYI, so it'd be my single option.)

Your house is lovely inside and out.
I can't imagine the stress of planning. I can't imagine making skillions of decisions and figuring the expense.
I. Can't. Imagine.

Now I'm p*ssed to discover that my Measly, Do-It-Ourselves Kitchen Reno has taken the same amount of time as your entire house.

Don't worry. It's me, er US, not you, and I still like you.

Your colors are FABULOUS, and I'm stealing your coat rack/wall built-in for when we do the Family Room.

OMG WE'RE DOING THE FAMILY ROOM?!?!
(When the kitchen's done. In 2013.)

Rebecca Jo said...

How beautiful is everything coming out!!! WOW!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Gorgeous home! LOVE your kitchen! I'm insanely jealous! The color choices are fab!
Best of luck with landscape design too. That's always a toughy. But whatever you choose - get a riding lawnmower! Or better yet - teach the younguns to do that or hire a service!

AndreaLeigh said...

girl you house is going to be breathtaking! love the red in the kitchen. i want a tour when it is finished! :)

Shannon said...

riding lawnmower...check! sprinkler system...check! hubby that DOES yard work without nagging?...not really

Slacker Mama said...

Looks great! The thought of making all those decisions makes me a bit nauseous, but you really did well!

If a TVs not going above the fireplace, then what is?