Go here for the full YAGBTS story.
The new house is coming along nicely. Everything has gone pretty well, just slow. We hope to be in sometime in May. Here’s a pic I took not too long ago.
Nice, right? Steve and I have worked hard and SAVED a long time to be able to build the house we want. I could make your head spin by the amount of $ we’ve saved, but that’s not my point. The point is, we have this nice, new house out in the country and when people ask “Where at?” We usually start by suggesting the main highway that runs by our road, or the fact that were are X amount of miles from town. Nope? Ok…do you happen to know where that giant rock is with all the crap spray painted on it? Yes! Of course you do! Somehow, anybody within a 50 mile radius of our road knows about that darn rock. In college, I met a guy from the next county over and he knew about the rock. I guess it makes an impression on people. Here are some recent examples of its “beauty.”
"Happy Turkey" I think it says
Oh, you can share your love publicly, but you're too embarrassed to say who it is?
Rebel Malians???It all started back when I was in high school. They were adding lanes and doing major road construction there and turned up this giant rock. The way it was split, so evenly, was like it was meant to be a primitive road sign. My brother and cousin first painted the rock. For several years it donned the Rebel flag. Somebody would occasionally paint something else over it, but then it would get repainted with the Rebel flag again. A few more years and some utility work later, a smaller rock showed up on the scene. For a long time the big rock was painted as the American flag and the smaller rock was the Rebel flag. Over the past couple years, it seems, the rocks have been subject to any and every type of announcement.
Got an anniversary coming up? Paint the rock! Did your team just win the big game? Paint the rock! Turning the big 5-0? Paint the rock! Having a yard sale? Paint the rock! Celebrating the birth of your first born? Paint the rock! I am not kidding. Some of the aforementioned are (ahem) relatives who live on the road, but most of them are complete strangers. Just somebody who stopped off in the wee hours of the night to profess their love for Jessica or some other such act. It really is a billboard for rednecks.
So if you’re ever cruising along the mid-lands of South Carolina and you see the rock, you’ll know where I live. But don’t bother to paint me a message. It will probably get painted over by the next day.

12 comments:
The rock is *awesome*.
We had something like that at UVA -- Beta Bridge. It was a bridge that got painted all the time. However, that was just college students...I don't know of any 40 year olds that got birthday wishes on BB.
That is hilarious!!! Someone needs to take pictures of every change & make a book! Do you know how many people would buy it because one of the times they painted it is in there!!!
I wonder if someone shows up to paint it & sees someone else is already working on it... is there a "rock schedule"?? I'm all interested in this now! :-)
I love the rock! I didn't know your brother was one of the first to paint it! How cool!
I love those awesome rocks!! that is the funniest thing. I'd be up there every week painting the dang things! Totally cracks me up. We had a highschool in the neigboring town that had a "spirit rock" that was painted to look like their school mascot. Every time another team came in to play them somebody would go and paint the rock THEIR school colors instead. I bet there were a gazillion layers of paint on that poor rock. I bet your rocks are really tiny...it's just all that paint that makes them big!
your house is going to be gorgeous!
Thats so cool. We have a bridge (ya, a whole bridge) like that. Everytime we drive over it (the side and what you drive on) it's different.
BTW, nice house!
A brand new house? Oh how lovely! I am jealous of the land and the brick. Gorgeous!
That is hilarious!!
If it was in Southern California it would be swathed in barbed wire to keep the gangs from tagging it. So by comparison, it truly is charming.
(And your house is Gorgeous!)
What a great landmark!
In high school a friend and I climbed a water tower and did an awesome job on a water tower, expecting it to be there at least a month. Alas, gone in two days.....here in our part of the Southern woods, we have a neighbor who has three rocks planted vertically in the ground in a circle -- I call it the mini Stone henge......and, another neighbor (whose eyes are a little too close together) who decorates a huge roll of hay for major holidays. She does the best job at thanksgiving, where the hay wears a puritan hat and has feathers sticking out of it's "butt" but easter is good too, she has huge 'ears' and the hay sports 'buck teeth.'
Post a Comment