Monday, May 25, 2009

Snap, crackle, pop!

I hope everyone had a nice Memorial Day. Mine included catching up with my old friend the Today show, some quality time with Wii Fit, a boat ride on the lake, riping staples off the bottom of my dining chair (to reupholster), packing some glassware and checking in on Savannah.
Yep, she and Steve made it to IL just fine, but I'll be damned if they didn't make a trip to the ER within hours of being there!
So I'm at my niece's birthday party last night when I get a call from Steve around 7:30. I can hear Savannah whimpering in the background. "What are ya'll doing?" I ask. "Savannah's mad because I hurt her." "You hurt her? What happened?" "Well," he says, "we were playing helicopter and I was swinging her around when I heard a crackle (his word) and she starting saying her arm hurt." "Well, I don't know what you want me to do about it 800 miles away. I guess you know where the ER is if she's still complaining about it in a half hour."
So...he calls me back later and says they, along with his sister who works at the hospital, are headed to the ER. And then suddenly he says he has to go. He will call me back when he knows something.
Now I am an easy going person. I don't worry, I don't obsess and I don't fuss over people. I won't call you to make sure you got there OK and I don't agonize over little stuff. Same rules apply to motherhood. But when Steve told me they were at the ER, I was freaking out! Damn, Steve! He's back home for a few hours and he's already damaged our child!
He calls me back a little later and says she is fine. She had Nurse Maid's Elbow (Google it. I did) and it's OK now. The swinging got her arm out of joint, but moving it during the x-ray got it back into place. He said she was happy, and moving it and that you'd never know the difference.
Whew!
I checked on them today and she is fine. Just figures, though. I guess that's what I get for not going.

post signature

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

as soon as you started to described what happened I knew that was what it was, we have been there, that happened to MC when she was a little over 2 I was lifting her up and over the baby gate and she started saying her arm hurt...we ended up at the ortho they popped it back in and wrapped it up for a few days and she was good as new...it happens all the time....

April said...

Glad she is ok! Enjoy your time alone!

Anonymous said...

Nurse maid's arm? You mean the chicks who milk cows? Is that like jack-off elbow?

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...

I'm glad she's ok. I used to work in child care and that was pretty common.