Sunday, August 31, 2008

Take Our Survey and win $1000

Well, no, not really, but I thought it would get your attention. I'm needing to make several more decisions about the house and I'm feeling insecure- yeah, I guess that's the best way to describe it. I am SOOOOO indecisive about big things. I have a hard time making up my mind b/c I know it costs a lot of money and that I will have it forever, well maybe not forever but a long damn time so I better be sure it is what I want!!So, I have a few things running around in my brain and I need your input ladies!
1. Pottery Barn swears they have slipcovers for every piece of furniture and why not, when you can simply toss it in the wash. Is that true? Can you really wash them and then viola! toss it back on the couch?
2. I know stainless appliances are all the rage, but I've heard the fingerprints and streaks are pretty bad. I'm not a neat freak but I have a child and a dog and Savannah (get it, haha! I am so funny). Thoughts?
3. I am also debating chrome, stainless or bronze (deep brown/black) fixtures and door handles, etc. I think I really like the bronze, but don't want to turn around in 8 years and think, "Oh, why did I do that."
4. We are considering a central vacuum system. I had one growing up and think they are great. Primarily since we will have a lot of hardwood floors, it would be good for that. If we go with a regular upright, what do the rest of y'all use on your hardwoods? I ain't swiffering the whole house!
5. I have a red kitchen and I love it, but am afraid a big kitchen with that much red will be overwhelming. Or do I just go for khaki walls and lots of red accents?
Ok- that's all. for now. Please respond to help my indecisive brain!

post signature

7 comments:

Girl in Carolina said...

i can't help you with the big stuff because I too am majorly indecisive! And if I remember correctly, I usually left you in charge of decorating the dorm room. Ha!

However, I vacuum my wood floors with this awesome attachment that sucks as you sweep - and it's really wide so it covers a large area. Doesn't take me long at all. But I'm sure your house is going to be a lot bigger so that vacuum system sounds freaking awesome to me.

Wendy said...

OK, I have heard the same thing about stainless but if I had the opportunity, I would get them.

Love the bronze fixtures and the red kitchen idea. Do what you love and you won't regret it. You CAN alway paint it again and it won't cost too much.

I have stained concrete floors so we bought a rainbow. A pretty big investment but I use it on the hard floors and the carpet. WORKS GREAT! Best one I have ever had and basically has lasted 11 yrs. I would compare the cost of the system you won't and the rainbow vac.
Hope this helps!

Wendy said...

actually the one you "want" ;)

Anonymous said...

I would love a central vac, have you seen those things under the toe kick in the kitchen that you sweep it near and it sucks it up, that would rock!!

As far as fixture color I think I have heard recently on some decorating shows about something that is a mixure of the bronze and stainless and they have it in appliances too. Maybe see if you can find that.

As far as color, i am an expert at that, go with what you love, and it is only paint you can always repaint, the girls room has been repainted 5 times in 6 years, and the nursery have been 4 colors, and my bedroom atleast 3 colors as of now, so go with what you love, if you change you mind it is not life and death. You know I have all that green in my living room and kitchen and even though it is lots of green it is my favorite color and I don't get sick of it.

Shannon said...

Update:
-the jury is still out on the slipcovers. I'm leaning towards mico-fiber, anyway.
-This week I'm thinking bronze fixtures.
-Central vacuum is a winner
-as is the red kitchen.

Anonymous said...

WOW THANKS FOR THE PRIZE MONEY!!! I NEVER WIN ANYTHING IT WAS COOL TO WIN A CONTEST FROM A FRIEND!!!

Buffie said...

Okay...two bit here...
I have a slip covered sectional and LOVE IT. The WHOLE thing is slip covered. With kids its wonderful. Just make sure that the WHOLE think is able to be removed; if you are going to go the length to do slip covers make sure of this. BTW it isn't PB but I CAN tell you where I got it if you are interested. I also have stainless steel and didn't have the choice of the other. I thought it would be a nightmare but it really isn't that bad. You can't do magnets on it though..don't know if you care about it or not, but it is actually nice as I would junk it up if I could. Can't help you with the fixtures...I like a lighter as no matter what you paint the walls over the years or do your window treatments it will always go with it; i.e. dark fixtures with light walls and drapes, etc. I have hardwoods on the whole first floor of my house and we sweep/dust mop and then clean with bruce's and a cloth. However, we don't have as much sf as you are going to have to clean. Dark floors show our the dog hair (yellow), scuffs and dirt spots more. The light ones (in our last house) didn't show hardly anything but scuffs.I do hear WONDERFUL things about a rainbow though and that the salesman WILL sell you on it. Love, love love a red kitchen...no khaki. I have a great picture I can show you from a Southern Living I kept with a Red kitchen...killer. Sorry to be long winded!!!