Thursday, July 3, 2008

PSA: How to Eat a Peach

In honor of the 4th and the Peach Festival tomorrow, I thought I would share with you the proper way to eat a peach. I know, it sounds simple enough, but plenty of people screw it up, my husband included. So just in case you are in town for the festivities this weekend, here is your lesson for today:
Step 1: Select a peach. It should be firm and fragrant with just a little yellow coloring.
peach
Step 2: PEEL IT! Under no circumstances should you eat a peach with the fuzz still on!
Should you do so, you will instantly be identified as a foreigner - whether you are from Dublin, Quebec or Cincinnati- at which point some by standing South Carolinian will say, "Bless your heart! Lemme show you how to do that..."
Once you have mastered the ability to eat a peach, you can make some of these tasty treats:

Peach Cupcakes - makes about 18
1-1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
1-1/4 cups sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temp
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp grated orange zest
3/4 cup milk
2 large or 3 small peaches, pitted and thinly sliced and cut into thirds

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
1. In a small bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, nutmeg and salt.
2. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat together sugar and butter until well combined. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each egg until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and orange zest, beating well.
3. Alternately beat in flour mixture and milk, making 3 additions of flour mixture and 2 of milk, beating until smooth. Fold in peaches.
4. Scoop batter (I used 1/4 cup measure) into prepared cupcake pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and cake is done.
Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool completely on rack.
D to the E to the L-I-C-I-O-U-S...

post signature

3 comments:

Girl in Carolina said...

OMG how is it that I have never had a peach cupcake??? *Mental Note to self - make some of these asap*

Slacker Mama said...

Really? You aren't supposed to eat the peach skin?!?!? Why not?

Love,
Slacker "I eat peach skin" Mama

Shannon said...

I also added a pic of my displayed cupcakes! Too friggin' cute, right?
You just don't eat the skin. A as the granddaughter of a peach farmer and being from a county who once farmed TONS o' peaches, it's just wrong. It's like licking insulation.